University Politics

Alumni donate $5.25 million to scholarship fundraising effort connected to Invest Syracuse

Dan Mezzalingua was a member on the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Society of Fellows and the chancellor’s council, in the past.

Syracuse University announced in a news release Tuesday that two SU alumni donated $5.25 million toward undergraduate financial aid.

The money from Dan and Kathy Mezzalingua, Class of 1960 and 1962 respectively, is going toward Opportunity Syracuse — Invest Syracuse’s fundraising effort.

“The couple is excited by the work being done by Chancellor Kent Syverud and his leadership team to provide new possibilities for students through Invest Syracuse and advance the university’s academic excellence,” according to the release.

Dan Mezzalingua was a member on the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Society of Fellows and the chancellor’s council, in the past. He was also on the advisory council for the Whitman School of Management and served as the lead trustee for the Schine Student Center Campaign.

The couple has a history of philanthropic work in central New York. Between the two, they have worked with multiple civic organizations and operated a foundation that helps pay the medical bills of cancer patients.

“For the student scholars, our wish is that they take advantage of the education they are receiving, and when they are successful will do the same to help other students,” Kathy Mezzalingua said in the release.

Dan Mezzalingua earned an undergraduate liberal arts degree from SU and Kathy a master’s degree in education. The positive effect of their education was one motivation for the donation, according to the release.

“We were very blessed in terms of what had occurred for us, and we wanted to make sure other people had opportunities through meaningful help,” Dan Mezzalingua said.