Men's Soccer

‘Not the freshman he once was,’ defender John-Austin Ricks scores like a forward

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

John-Austin Ricks has started every game for Syracuse in 2017, using his offensive skills at wingback or in the back three.

The Syracuse defense entered this season needing to replace the No. 2 overall pick of the 2017 MLS SuperDraft in Miles Robinson. Add the other four draft picks, and former defensive staple Louis Cross, and the Orange was forced to bring in 15 new players.

Of those, none has experienced an increased role like John-Austin Ricks. The sophomore defender made 20 appearances last year, but started in fewer than half of those games. He played wingback the majority of the previous season and had just one goal, falling behind the regular defensive rotation of Robinson, Cross and Kamal Miller.

But since Robinson’s departure for the MLS and Cross’s graduation, Ricks has emerged as a regular in No. 7 Syracuse’s (4-2-1, 0-1-1 Atlantic Coast) defensive rotation, either in the back three or at wingback. His offensive output has jumped, tripling his season total for goals (three) just more than a third into the season.

“He’s not the freshman he once was,” Miller said. “… He’s really stepped up and has been playing like he’s been here forever.”

When Syracuse employs a 4-4-2 formation or Ricks moves up to wingback in a 3-5-2, he prefers to push up on offense. Other times, Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre can shift formations and move Ricks elsewhere because “he has that flexibility.”

Ricks is not like most defenders, because, Miller said, he is more versatile. Rather than stick around marking the opposing team’s forwards, he moves upfield with the offense. The Orange often plays the ball to Ricks as it enters the opposing half of the field. He has become a facilitator, working alongside midfielders Mo Adams and Hugo Delhommelle often to create offensive opportunities.

scoringdefender_embed

Andy Mendes | Digital Design Editor

“Just using that skill back there, in a back three, (McIntyre) puts a lot of responsibility on us to get the attack going,” Miller said.

The offensive nature of Ricks started in his youth career and lasted through his sophomore year of high school. He had played center midfielder or forward, before making the change to center back. Playing up top helped develop “that killer ball,” as McIntyre called it.

That was in reference to Ricks’ first goal of the season, against Princeton Sept. 1. A man-down, Syracuse’s counter attack shot ricocheted off the post. Players fought for possession until Delhommelle took control. Ricks saw open space to Delhommelle’s right, about 30 yards from the goal. After corralling the pass, Ricks chipped the ball just over the outstretched diving arm of Jacob Schachner to even the score in an eventual 1-1 tie.

Because of his flexibility and aggressiveness, Ricks has positioned himself in front of the net multiple times. Later in the Princeton game, a through ball found its way to a darting Ricks. The one-timer missed wide left, his only missed shot in four attempts.

“I like to take risks,” Ricks said. “It’s not always the best thing to do. I like to try to go forward when I can. I don’t like to keep the ball back.”

090317_suvsnwestern_shub-seltzer_cp-31

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Contributing Photographer

Ricks’ two other goals came off corner kicks. The first, against Oregon State on Sept. 12, was a header toward the back post. A charging Beaver defender tried to stop short, but the ball bounced off his chest and into the back of the net. Three games after scoring the game-tying goal, Ricks scored the game-winner.

The second goal came against division rival and No. 17 Louisville. Delhommelle took the corner kick and sent the ball into the packed penalty area. Ricks was in the front of the pack near post, but a header sent the ball far post and into the back of the net.

Ricks emerged from the scrum grabbing his shirt, nodding his head emphatically. As if to prove, in his first full season as a core player on the Syracuse backline, this can be his breakout year.

“I felt like I was hiding last year,” Ricks said. “… I want to be an impact player.”